February 20, 2011
Before we went to Mass at the Cathedral (which was in Latin and Polish), we went to the field right outside the hotel where John Paul II met the 3 million or so people when he came back to visit Krakow as Pope. After Mass, some of us had the opportunity to go to Nowa Huta, which was to be the ideal communist city without God. The steel workers there did not want a city without God and built a steel cross which they fought to defend. Today, there is a replica of the cross (as well as a chapel) and we did praise and worship at the cross, which was super neat just to realize God’s greatness and strength—more mighty than the communists. We also visited a Church which looked like the ark, but I don’t remember the significance.
Finally, we went to Wadowice, the birthplace of JPII and visited the museum, the Church where he was baptized, etc. and heard the call to the priesthood. We also got Pope cake which was delicious, but I wouldn’t have minded splitting it with someone.
Then we came back to Gaming, arriving at 2 am. So far, this trip has been my favorite. Not only because I’m Polish, so I was really excited to be in the land where my people came from, but just the whole nature of the trip. I don’t think anything can top it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please make sure your comments are considerate of others and the author of this blog. Danke!